Thursday, February 8, 2018

MALIK MILLER OF FRIENDSHIP TECH CAN DO IT ALL - ALL-MET ELITE

MALIK MILLER
is helping

FRIENDSHIP TECH
to become
SOUTHEAST's FINEST
 ALL-MET ELITE
 
Friendship Tech Prep
SE Washington D.C.
 
 
 Age, height, weight: 18 yrs. old, 6’4, 170lbs
1. What school, AAU, boys & girls clubs, rec teams did you play for growing up? When I was in the 6th grade I played up for the NSBC Soldiers AAU team but I was playing two grades up. I also played for the DC Raiders since I was in middle school.
 
2. Friendship Tech is having an outstanding season & is currently ranked as a top ten team in the D.C. area what were the coaches & teams focus/goals going into this season? Our goals were to destroy everybody on our schedule and let teams know that you can’t beat us. We really focused on strength and conditioning going into the season because we are not a big team so we have to play a fast up-tempo offense and push the ball a lot. So we did a lot of weights because we are small and we have to play very scrappy and tough.
 
  3. How has Coach Shackleford & his staff helped in your development as a player?  Coach Shack really helped me a lot because we were working out together the whole summer and he pushed me to another level. I loved it & we didn't take any days off and even when Shack couldn't train me my other coaches would step in. That is why our coaching staff is so good because they all want us to be nothing but elite.
4. What is a common misconception about DC Charter School basketball? The fact that DC charter schools don’t really get any type of recognition and are very overlooked. A lot of people think that we can't compete against top competition and I love showing them what we are really about.
 
5. What was the thought process behind your commitment to Morgan State did it being an HBCU close to home factor heavily into your decision? I felt like they have a good program and a great coaching staff. Honestly I love Coach Bozeman's coaching style and I feel like he can really put me in the right position to be successful. Being an HBCU did factor into my decision because I love being apart of the black community, being close to home also definitely played a big factor because I really don’t want to go to far away from my mother.
 
  6. What do plan on working on this summer before your freshmen year? As soon as the season is over I plan on being in the weight room for 6 weeks or more. I am also going to work really hard on my jump shot, floaters and handle. I also want to become more explosive.  
 
7. How would you describe the Friendship Tech basketball program & coach Shackleford's coaching style? We are a small school with a big heart. We are not the tallest nor biggest or strongest but are we very scrappy, skilled and competitive. Coach Shack's coaching style is very defensive minded. He doesn't care if you can score 30 if you can't play defense then you won’t play.
 
8. As this season is heading to a close what are your team & personal goals for the remainder of the season? The team goals are to win the PCSAA championship and then win states. My personal goals are to get player of the year, DC state 1st team and 1st team All-Met.
 
9. A lot has been said about your scoring & rebounding ability but what is one thing about your game that you think is often overlooked? A lot of people don’t know that I love passing the ball.
 
10. As a senior along with Kenneth Tyree what tone do you attempt to set every time you step on the court for your teammates? Our tone is that no team can beat us and we don’t take any teams lightly no matter who, when or where we play. We are going to destroy anybody that comes in between those black lines and when we are in between those lines be ready to compete.

No comments:

Post a Comment