Thursday, February 15, 2018

DARIEN SIMMONS OF ARUNDEL CHRISTIAN SCHOOL NUMBERS DON'T LIE - ALL-MET ELITE

DARIEN SIMMONS
OF
THE ARUNDEL CHRISTIAN SCHOOL
 NUMBERS DON'T LIE
ALL-MET ELITE
 
ARUNDEL CHRISTIAN SCHOOL
HANOVER MD.
 
 Age, Height, Weight: 18, 6’2, 175lbs.
 
1. How exactly did you score 90 of your teams 112 total points? How did you feel afterwards were you more excited than exhausted Steals/transition points, mid range pull-up’s, turn around shots, free throws, 3’s, backdoor cuts just utilizing everything I work on and using it in the game, also my coaches were encouraging me to get the ball and keep attacking. My teammates were also finding me anytime they could.
 
2. What was the reaction of your teammates during & after the 90 game? My teammates were ecstatic at half time telling me I need to go for 100 and just kept motivating me. Afterwards the entire team drenched me with the coldest water bottles ever and were jumping and screaming in the locker room.
 
3. What schools have offered you & what schools have shown you interest so far? I've had a few CIAA schools offer. Virginia Union, Livingstone and Lincoln. I've had conversations with Rhode Island, Central Connecticut State, Boston College, Shepard, Catawba (NC), and Hampton. They are waiting on film. I plan on taking visits and playing in some unsigned senior showcases at the conclusion of my season. I am fully qualified and will be signing with someone in April.
 
4. Outside of the 90 point game how would you describe your game what are your strengths? I’m a leader and a extension of the coach on the floor, I flourish when pressure is being applied or in tough situations, and I always fight. Competing is a big part of my game as well, I also love to defend the best player on other teams. I can get to the rim at will, draw multiple defenders and make the right choice (finish/drop off/ kick-out). I’ve made the mid-range pull-up/ turn around a big part of my game along with knocking down open 3’s all in all whatever a coach needs me to do on the court I will make it the best part of my game.
 
 5. You have received a few HBCU offers did you ever consider attending an HBCU previously? It's funny because I've been told by some HBCU's that I wasn't good enuff to play there. Just about every CIAA school has taken notice and has offered but the D1 HBCU's have been lukewarm at best. We have reached out to several D1 programs and some are waiting on film and others are waiting until the end of their seasons. But at this point I am just playing my game and patiently waiting for schools to finish their seasons and evaluate me. I'm expecting to sign with someone in April during the late signing period after March Madness.
 
6. This past summer you played for Team Takeover can you describe that experience & how has it helped you going into this season? It was an amazing experience playing for the Team Takeover organization. Playing for Coach Dennis Marshall and Coach Welton Barnes was also great as well. Coach Marshall is the type of guy that will always be honest with you and tell you how it is. He definitely helped build how poised I am today both on and off of the court. Coach Barnes gave me tips during games and believed in me, he was always willing to workout with me whenever which I really appreciate a lot because I am a gym rat. The practices were always intense and competitive which I loved & my teammates were great guys, we’ve built a bond that will always live forever beyond basketball through TTO Basketball.
 
7. What do you plan on working on this summer? This summer I’m going to work on everything from skills & athleticism to sleeping & eating habits to become the best player I can be both physically and mentally. To prepare myself to run the PG position at the next level immediately. I’m going to work on shooting off the dribble, running the pick and roll and just making my 3 point shot more effortless like a layup. I’ve already started shooting 1000 shots on my off days.
 
8. How would you describe the style of play & the basketball program at Arundel Christian?  Arundel Christian is a new up and coming program who plays in a very high class & competitive league (CBAA) filled with some of the DMV’s best talent. My Head Coach (Derek Daniels) and Assistant (Coach Cunningham) are two of the best coaches I’ve had in my career. They’re not only great coaches and great mentors but they are tremendous people. I love playing for them and just being around them as well. Our school is also like a large caring family and they have accepted me with open arms.
 
  9. Have you received any negative backlash about your scoring this season in particular the 90 point game? Since I’ve scored 90 points a lot of pages/blogs have posted me and I’ve been getting a lot of good feedback but there are always critics in everything you do. Some say oh he’s a selfish point guard, ball hog like when LaMelo Ball had 92. One of my best qualities as a basketball player is motivating my teammates and sticking up for the people that don’t have the ability to stand up for themselves. With that being said, my teammates understand what I’ve been through and genuinely wanted to help me achieve my goal. A lot of people are comparing me to LaMelo Ball but what they fail to realize is it’s just different.. They’re from the hills I’m from PG county.. it’s just different. 

No comments:

Post a Comment