Friday, October 25, 2013

VICTOR OLADIPO MAKING MAGIC IN ORLANDO - ALL-MET ELITE

VICTOR OLADIPO
 MAKING MAGIC
IN
ORLANDO
ALL-MET ELITE
 
DEMATHA HS.
HYATTSVILLE MD.

  
SOURCE: ESPN.com
WRITTEN By: Israel Gutierrez
 
"For me to be where I came from, I'm not supposed to be here. And with all the guys I used to hang around with? I was not supposed to be the first one."
Oladipo grew up in Upper Marlboro, Md., a part of Prince George's County, which is rich with basketball talent (the current crop of NBA players from that county include Durant, Ty Lawson, Jeff Green, Roy Hibbert, Jarrett Jack, Sam Young and a handful more).
 
Oladipo was mostly unaware of the depth and quality of talent in his area, because his father didn't let any of his children outside the house very often. Part of it was his strict nature, and part of it was because the family didn't live in the safest of neighborhoods (the family moved to a more rural section of town after the home's front door was knocked down while they watched television).
 
"It's my love for the game that made me do what I do. I pushed myself.
 
"Basketball was kind of like my brother. It was something I could go do and just be myself."
 
At St. Jerome Academy, a private elementary and middle school about 45 minutes away from his home, Oladipo played on B teams until sixth grade. He played mostly power forward and center because of his height and was known more as the "hustle guy."
 
By the time Oladipo had to choose a high school to attend, he had no idea where he'd go. His father kept asking him, but it wasn't until a friend's dad took him to a game at DeMatha, a Catholic high school featuring a tradition-rich basketball team, that Oladipo finally answered.
 
"I kind of fell in love with them there," he said.
 
When it came time to try out for the freshman team, Oladipo was one of about a hundred students trying to get the attention of coaches.
 
"I stood out, one, because I wanted to play defense and, two, because of how athletic I was," he said, though he didn't consider that the start of a memorable career. "I didn't really go crazy or anything. I was happy, but for some reason I wasn't really joyful or anything like that."
 
Perhaps it was because his friends, like Quinn Cook (now at Duke), Bryon Allen (George Mason) and Jerian Grant (Notre Dame) were better than him.
 
Perhaps it was because the reception at home would be lukewarm at best -- at least from his dad. DeMatha coaches saw something in Oladipo, so head coach Mike Jones referred Oladipo to an AAU team then named Triple Threat (it's now Team Takeover).
 
That's where Oladipo met Price, who coached the ninth-grade team.
 
"Upon meeting him, he just became one of my favorites, and it actually didn't have anything to do with basketball," Price said. "One of the hardest things to find is a guy that's willing to listen and hang his hat on everything you give him. And he was that kid.
 
"We had to do a lot of mentally grooming him, making him understand that he is good, because he had no clue."
 
How could he know? On the freshman team he was essentially just another guy. At home he got no feedback, his father constantly telling his children to "face their books." He couldn't compare himself with his friends, who had no such crisis of confidence.
 
In Price, Oladipo discovered someone who wanted to unearth something special in him. So the lanky kid became a sponge. A well-mannered, intelligent, eager sponge -- with an especially strict dad. This AAU thing required more time away from his books, more time away from his home, more time committed to a "hobby."
 
In fact, Oladpio didn't even think varsity basketball was in his near future.
 
"He's on our team, he's an integral part of our team, he's feeling good about himself, so I started asking him if he's gonna play varsity next year," Price said. "His first response was, 'Huh?' "I said, 'What do you mean, "Huh?"'
 
"And I can still remember his quote to this day: 'Varsity? They're good.'"
 
Price's immediate retort was, "So what are you?"
 
Oladipo hadn't given varsity nearly as much thought as you'd expect from someone who had NBA dreams.
 
Price, who Oladipo had grown attached to, offered a blunt dose of reality: Make varsity, or this whole experience ends.
 
It wasn't so much an ultimatum as it was setting an alarm clock for Oladipo.
 
"One day I just stopped and I said, 'Listen, I want you to know something,'" Price said. "'Do you enjoy playing for us? Do you like sleeping over at my house? Do you consider us like a family? Well lemme just tell you something. There's no way in hell that we're going to have a 10th grader that's playing JV on our roster. So you got to find a way to make varsity.'"
 
That meant Oladipo would have to attend 6 a.m. workouts the summer after his freshman year. It was no easy task, given that DeMatha was nearly an hour from home.
 
Not only did he show up, but he was so energetic in the workouts that DeMatha coach Mike Jones called Oladipo's AAU coaches to ask how they motivated him.
 
Oladipo kept showing up, even after he suffered a fracture in his foot during AAU season and couldn't actually participate.
 
Jones kept telling Oladipo he didn't have to, but Oladipo kept showing up, offering to help in any way he could, even by sweeping the floors.
 
Oladipo's response: "I'm OK, Coach Mike. I just don't want y'all to forget about me."
 
"That's who the kid was," Price said. "How could you not fall in love with a kid who has that determination? He was raised great -- I mean, we can't take any credit for how he was raised -- and he's just waiting to get molded."
 
That experience helped Oladipo make varsity, though he wasn't a starter until his senior season. And while his team won the city title his junior year, and he was averaging a double-double and playing relentless defense nightly, Oladipo wasn't being widely recruited.

 
FULL ARTICLE LINK

No comments:

Post a Comment