Thursday, October 18, 2012

RODDY PETERS COMMITS TO THE UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND - ALL-MET ELITE

RODDY PETERS
COMMITS
TO THE
UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND 
 ALL-MET ELITE
SUITLAND HS.
SUITLAND MD.
"I wanted to go there since I was younger," Peters (Suitland, Md./Suitland) said. "I've always been a Maryland fan since Juan Dixon. Then when [assistant coach] Dalonte Hill came, it was like family. I'm grateful and I'm happy."
The 6-foot-4, 180-pound senior's ascension into the ESPN 100 began in the spring. At that time, he was a scorer before transforming his game into that of a point guard. By mid-July, Peters was a coveted lead guard and a priority recruit for most the schools on his list. However, the relationship with Maryland was complicated.
"I felt that I was still getting recruited by other schools and I could go somewhere I could be happy," Peters said. "When [the Harrisons] decided to go to Kentucky, I knew that was a blessing that it was my time right there."
Helping Maryland hold its pitch to the D.C. Assault point guard together was Hill, a former D.C. Assault player himself.
"Roddy will be the first D.C. Assault player to ever go to Maryland," Assault coach Damon Handon said. "D.C. Assault has existed for 18 years."
Former Maryland coach Gary Williams had a contentious relationship with the travel team and Peters is a local trailblazer by committing to the Terps.
"I love Maryland fans, and I know when I get there it'll be my time to shine," he said. "When I went to the game and watched Juan Dixon as a kid, the fans where rowdy, and I liked the way [the team] played. Getting to stay local and having fans from the area see me play, I can't really ask for anything better than that."
Peters averaged 25 points and seven assists as a junior. He and Damonte Dodd (Centreville, Md./Massanutten) are the two current members of Mark Turgeon's 2013 recruiting class.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment